About this Blog


About this Blog: Divorce is something you do, not something you are. It is not easy, but it can be funny. I know hanging on to my humor gave me hope and courage. Divorce shouldn't cramp your style. There are whole industries devoted to helping brides plan their weddings -- why shouldn't we have a style guide for divorce?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lighting Not Striking Twice as One Would Hope

Well of course now that I contemplate it, the reason that phrase came to mind last night could have been because sometimes I hope that even if lightning doesn't frequently strike twice in the same place, once in a while it could do me a favor and strike in at least one particular place when I wish really hard, or in any event that the universe would figure out who needs to be struck by lightning and make it happen without me even making a vague request.  But truthfully it was because I was in the middle of another one of my "use it up or get rid of it" projects.

I still had quite a bit of Purl's friendship bracelet floss in my workshop, and it was grating on me, so I bought another one of those tea towels that has a special section woven for cross-stitching.  And I wanted a super sequel to my last successful bitch-stitch project.

I worked quite a bit on the proper sentiment and think I got it right.  But compare this item from the previous one.  The stitching is so much less careful.  I was clearly in a rush to get it done.  I obviously didn't care that the french knot was once again well beyond my capability to execute properly.  And anyone can see that "at all" needs to be ripped out and done over.  So that's what I was looking at when "sigh - lightning apparently doesn't strike twice around here" came to mind.

I do like the way it looks as if the original embroidery said "Miss You" with flowers and then post-purchase some angry bitter woman took it upon herself to graffiti the damn thing.  Maybe I should sketch out the design first so that I don't get frustrated and cut corners.  Maybe I should have ironed it before posting this picture.  However, like divorce, these things are life lessons that we always discover in retrospect.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this kind of thing on the front page of Etsy for like $100. I think you should open a store.

    ReplyDelete