About this Blog


About this Blog: Divorce is something you do, not something you are. It is not easy, but it can be funny. I know hanging on to my humor gave me hope and courage. Divorce shouldn't cramp your style. There are whole industries devoted to helping brides plan their weddings -- why shouldn't we have a style guide for divorce?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Haven't Rented the Truck, Yet

People would ask me, when I was first getting divorced, how the guy I had been be married to and I were going to manage living in the same town afterwards.  I'd say, blithely, that you never know about these things, he could always get run over by a truck.  Then I'd pause for effect and say, ". . . and it's not like I've hired the truck or anything."

I'm going to hire a truck now, but not to run over the guy I used to be married to.  I've been offered a job in my old town, now that I've finished my degree and can actually afford to live there even without child support.  So I have to move back.  Correction:  because I want to, and not because I have to.  And even after multiple downsizings I still do have a small truck's worth of worldly possessions.  So I will be needing that truck, and the guy I used to be married to should just look both ways on the day I arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment