About this Blog


About this Blog: Divorce is something you do, not something you are. It is not easy, but it can be funny. I know hanging on to my humor gave me hope and courage. Divorce shouldn't cramp your style. There are whole industries devoted to helping brides plan their weddings -- why shouldn't we have a style guide for divorce?

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Letter from the Editor

Dear Reader:

I know you can barely read this because your eyes are so puffy, but believe me when I say you are going to get through this, and your divorce is going to be worth every tear.

That bastard you were married to can take the house, he can take your IRA, he can even take the kids every other weekend -- but he can't take your sense of style.  There is no law that requires you to give up any panache, aplomb, or savoir faire when you are taking the trash out where it belongs.  Guard this, one of your most valuable assets.  It is precious.

Let's face it, only the lucky are either happily married or quickly divorced.  The rest of us endure proceedings that even in mediation or settled out of court last at least a year if not more.  That's a lot of time to experience the unique financial, emotional, life-changing stress of divorce.  But you don't have to suffer.  I won’t let you.

I have been there.  Yes, I too had my matrimonial hopes and dreams shattered, just like the gold-rimmed champagne glasses, a gift from his Great-aunt Mimi, that somehow dropped out of a three-story window onto the hood of a departing taxi.  But I survived -- I did more than just survive -- and you will too.

At a times like this I want you to realize that style is your secret to succeeding at the very unpleasant task before you.  You don't need to know how to endure a bad marriage with grace, and a nasty divorce dishes up more than enough servings of humble pie.  You don't need another lecture on letting go.  You don’t need to maintain your composure when you have brains splattered all over your little pink suit.  You do not need to telegraph your broken spirit to the world.  You need wit.  I have lots to spare.  Take some.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment