About this Blog


About this Blog: Divorce is something you do, not something you are. It is not easy, but it can be funny. I know hanging on to my humor gave me hope and courage. Divorce shouldn't cramp your style. There are whole industries devoted to helping brides plan their weddings -- why shouldn't we have a style guide for divorce?

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Introduction to the Style Guide

Welcome to The Style Guide to Divorce.  This on-line journal offers you, a reader representative of more than 50% of the population, the best of today's divorce-focused advice, humor, recipes, fashion, music, and literature.

You are a sassy and compassionate woman who will survive and thrive after your divorce.  But until that glorious day comes, you don’t need to read articles like “How to Cope with the Abject Failure of Your Marriage,” or “Why You Couldn’t Keep Your Man.”  What you need is “How to Decorate with Half of the Furniture,” and “Boots for Kicking Some Legal A**!”

This is not a blog you will be embarrassed to say that you follow.  No need to look over your shoulder while you are reading or hide the window under a fake spreadsheet.  Come visit anytime you need a tip on looking great and feeling much, much better.

About me:  I was successfully married for 15 years and was so successfully divorced five years ago that I now have trouble remembering his name.  I grew up in Chicago and have lived in Seattle and Montana, so I love the richness of urban culture and the freedom of wilderness recreation.  I was a good wife, I’ve been a mid-career law student and I am currently the single parent of a child who mouths off to me all the time.  The household pet is a three-legged dog, and when people ask me what happened, I say, “well, I had to give up 25% of everything to get my divorce, what did you expect me to do?”

My goal is to provide emotional armor for people going through a difficult time, not to laugh for one minute at your plight.  If I had my way, every bride would have a bookmark to my blog on her toolbar, right next to Susie Bright's.  But for now, the greatest compliment I hope to get is that of a divorce lawyer who tells her sobbing client, “Cry if you want to.  With the waterproof mascara this gal recommends, you're going to look fabulous on the stand and you're going to get at least two-thirds of the estate.”

I said it before in my first post, but since this is the introduction, I’m going to say it again:  getting divorced is something you do, not something you are.  It’s like taking a test, or getting your annual pap smear.  Don’t avoid it.  Prepare for it, get it done, then reward yourself afterward.  I recommend a nice New Zealand sauvingon blanc and a pedicure. 

Civilly yours,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment